Indonesië
Wilt u reageren op dit bericht? Maak met een paar klikken een account aan of log in om door te gaan.

Indonesië

Informatie- en nieuwsforum over Indonesië en Nederlands-Indië

IndexLaatste afbeeldingenRegistrerenInloggen

Papua: Two wounded in ambush near Indonesia mine

Ga naar beneden 
AuteurBericht
ElEl

ElEl

Aantal berichten : 8018
Registratiedatum : 08-12-08

Papua: Two wounded in ambush near Indonesia mine Empty
BerichtOnderwerp: Papua: Two wounded in ambush near Indonesia mine   Papua: Two wounded in ambush near Indonesia mine Icon_minitimedi 20 okt 2009 - 19:25

Indonesia - Security
Source : AFP 20.10.2009

TIMIKA, Indonesia, Oct 20, 2009 (AFP) - Two men were wounded Tuesday in the latest shooting ambush near US company Freeport McMoRan's massive gold and copper mine in Indonesia's eastern Papua region, police said.

A mine worker and a driver were wounded after the bus they were driving in was shot at around 9:30 am on the road to the Grasberg mine, Papua police spokesman Agus Rianto told AFP.

"A convoy of buses carrying mine workers was shot by unknown people," Rianto said.

"A driver, Rudi Palanding, was shot in his finger and a passenger, Kristian, was shot in his right elbow and upper right hip. The police are chasing after (the shooters)," he added.

The attack is the latest in a string of mysterious ambushes on the road linking the mine with the coastal city of Timika over the last three months.

Australian mine technician Drew Grant was killed in a July 11 attack, while a Freeport security guard and a policeman were killed the following day.

The attacks were initially blamed by the military on rebels of the Free Papua Movement (OPM), but police have said there is no evidence that is the case.

The Freeport mine sits on some of the world's richest gold reserves and the US company's local subsidiary is the largest single taxpayer to the Indonesian government.

Papua, a resource-rich region on the western end of New Guinea island, has been the site of a low-level separatist insurgency since its incorporation into Indonesia in the 1960s.

©️2009 AFP All rights reserved
Terug naar boven Ga naar beneden
http://www.tileng.nl

Terug naar boven 
Pagina 1 van 1
 Soortgelijke onderwerpen
-
» One dead, another wounded in Papua
» Australian killed near Papua mine
» Search on for 32 people trapped in Papua mine collapse
» Indonesia to improve air defense in Papua