Indonesië
Wilt u reageren op dit bericht? Maak met een paar klikken een account aan of log in om door te gaan.

Indonesië

Informatie- en nieuwsforum over Indonesië en Nederlands-Indië

IndexLaatste afbeeldingenRegistrerenInloggen

Migrant worker from Lombok faces hanging

Ga naar beneden 
AuteurBericht
Kesasar

Kesasar

Aantal berichten : 2586
Registratiedatum : 03-01-09

Migrant worker from Lombok faces hanging Empty
BerichtOnderwerp: Migrant worker from Lombok faces hanging   Migrant worker from Lombok faces hanging Icon_minitimedi 3 apr 2012 - 7:45

The Jakarta Post, Mataram Tue, 04/03/2012

A migrant worker from West Lombok, West Nusa Tenggara, is facing the death penalty in Malaysia, having been charged with murdering the supervisor of an oil palm plantation in Tongkang Pecah Batu, Johor.

Relatives of the worker, identified as Safi’i, 28, reported the case to the Mataram-based Panca Karsa Association (PKK), a nonprofit organization which aims to protect migrant workers from West Nusa Tenggara.

“We’ve received information that Safi’i will be sentenced to be hanged. He is now being detained at the Batu Gajah penitentiary in Keluang, Johor. We are seeking help from the PKK and the government because we believe he is innocent,” said M. Jamali, one of Safi’i’s relatives.

Safi’i, who hails from Banyu Urip in West Lombok, left for Malaysia in 2005 via a migrant worker company, PT Wira Karitas, in Mataram.

He had not returned home during the last six months, but routinely sent money to his mother.

According to Jamali, Safi’i did not give any indication of his situation last month. But, one of his colleagues in Malaysia, Mustiah, informed the family that Safi’i was being tried and was facing the death penalty if found guilty.

“Mustiah said she followed up the information in a local Malaysian newspaper. She later confirmed that Safi’i was indeed being detained in the prison,” Jamali said.

According to Jamali, Safi’i had told Mustiah he was not involved in the murder. The perpetrator was one of Safi’i’s friends from East Lombok, who fled the scene.

Sitah, 65, and Safi’i’s mother said she was shocked to hear her youngest son was facing hanging.

“I don’t believe he carried out the murder. Previously, he had phoned me saying he would be coming home and bringing a mobile phone for his nephew,” Sitah said.

Sitah, who is now blind, said she hoped the government would help her sixth son.

Fitriyatun Wahyuni of the PPK’s legal division said she would follow up the report in cooperation with government institutions.

Terug naar boven Ga naar beneden

Migrant worker from Lombok faces hanging
Terug naar boven 
Pagina 1 van 1
 Soortgelijke onderwerpen
-
» Migrant worker falls to her death
» Govt revokes licenses of 28 migrant worker agencies
» Indonesia Summons Malaysia Ambassador Over Migrant Worker Killings
» Police Continue Medan Migrant Worker Investigation After More Remains Found
» Mistaken for Monkey, Indonesian Migrant Worker Shot Dead by Malaysian Employer

Permissies van dit forum:Je mag geen reacties plaatsen in dit subforum
Indonesië :: Berichten :: News in English-
Ga naar: