Indonesië
Wilt u reageren op dit bericht? Maak met een paar klikken een account aan of log in om door te gaan.

Indonesië

Informatie- en nieuwsforum over Indonesië en Nederlands-Indië

IndexLaatste afbeeldingenRegistrerenInloggen

News from Selandia Baru

Ga naar beneden 
2 plaatsers
AuteurBericht
Kesasar

Kesasar

Aantal berichten : 2586
Registratiedatum : 03-01-09

News from Selandia Baru Empty
BerichtOnderwerp: News from Selandia Baru   News from Selandia Baru Icon_minitimedi 3 jul 2012 - 22:35

Stuff, NZ Internet News

Deep 7.0 earthquake felt widely

Last night's widely-felt magnitude-7.0 earthquake was the largest in the area for up to 120 years, says a seismologist.

People described hanging on to doorways and diving for cover when the quake struck the country.

GeoNet reported the tremor, which hit at 10.36pm, was centred 230km deep and was 60km south of of the Taranaki town of Opunake.

People from Bay of Plenty to Otago reported feeling it.

The first quake was followed nine minutes later by a 4.6 shake at the same depth, 70km south of Opunake.

GNS Science duty seismologist Lara Bland said the 7.0 quake was the largest to strike the Taranaki Bight area for the past 100 to 120 years.

It was related to the subduction zone where the Pacific tectonic plate was being driven under the Australian plate, she said.

The quake probably happened on the Pacific plate, which dipped down deeply, she said, occurring because the plate was hard and brittle.

That was also partly why it had been felt so widely, as the energy travelled "efficiently" back up the plate to the surface.

It was a good-sized shake but the depth and distance offshore limited its impact, Bland said.

While large quakes in the area weren't unheard of, "they aren't often that big," she said.

Magnitude-6.0 quakes had occurred in the area over the years.

( old Kesas' place is just a hop-skip and jump away from Opunake across the Taranaki Bight, and at the time of the quake already in the "lappe-mand", first a gentle shaking, I thought the "boss" was getting into bed, than it got rougher and the "boss" screeched 'earthquake' so out the bed I got, mumbling " if it is going to get me I'd much rather die in my warm bed!" They have already for a long time said the big one is over due, so perhaps this is just the start of it!)

Terug naar boven Ga naar beneden
wujud
Admin
wujud

Aantal berichten : 1008
Registratiedatum : 08-12-08

News from Selandia Baru Empty
BerichtOnderwerp: Re: News from Selandia Baru   News from Selandia Baru Icon_minitimedi 3 jul 2012 - 23:16

Nog maar even niet OmK nee
wat eng... iehhh...
Terug naar boven Ga naar beneden
https://indonesie.actieforum.com

News from Selandia Baru
Terug naar boven 
Pagina 1 van 1
 Soortgelijke onderwerpen
-
» No news is good news, but this is all bad!
» Selandia Baru in trek bij turis Jerman ???
» ‘Kristenisasi’ and intolerance: Another look (Mainly for my pal Benjamin and his sidekick Alby)
» No news as good as "old news"
» There's no news worse than bad news...

Permissies van dit forum:Je mag geen reacties plaatsen in dit subforum
Indonesië :: Berichten :: News in English-
Ga naar: