From Antara News, 20 Agustus 2015
Jakarta - Jakarta Governor Basuki Tjahaja Purnama said on Thursday that efforts to relocate residents of Kampung Pulo in Jatinegara to East Jakarta will continue.
"We will continue with the efforts until all residents are relocated despite protests from some," he said at City Hall.
Residents had clashed with the city administration and police, who had demolished the houses stretching along the bank of the Ciliwung river, which flows through the capital city.
They had protested against the demolition and demanded compensation for their houses despite the fact that they have been provided with public housing nearby by the city administration.
Governor Purnama reiterated that he would not meet the displaced residents demand.
"We have given them compensation, which is not in the form of cash, but in the form of public housing in Jatinegara Barat. Moreover, there is no basis for them to ask for compensation," he said.
He added that the resident who had built their houses along the river bank had illegally occupied state land in Kampung Pulo.
"So far, they had occupied state land in Kampung Pulo and therefore we will not award any compensation. That is our (the governments) land so why should we pay for it," he said.
Regarding the relocation of the residents, the Governor said he hoped it would not result in huge chaos.
"Socialization of the relocation plan has been done for a long time. They should have understood it. We have asked the Jakarta police to help ensure security during the operation," he said.
The Jakarta government plans to normalize the width of the Ciliwung river that has been narrowed by houses built by people along the rivers bank in Kampung Pulo.
Due to this, the area is always submerged by flood waters during the rainy season.