Indonesië
Wilt u reageren op dit bericht? Maak met een paar klikken een account aan of log in om door te gaan.

Indonesië

Informatie- en nieuwsforum over Indonesië en Nederlands-Indië

IndexLaatste afbeeldingenRegistrerenInloggen

SBY Suspends Akil Mochtar, Imposes Strict Judicial Monitoring

Ga naar beneden 
AuteurBericht
Kesasar

Kesasar

Aantal berichten : 2586
Registratiedatum : 03-01-09

SBY Suspends Akil Mochtar, Imposes Strict Judicial Monitoring  Empty
BerichtOnderwerp: SBY Suspends Akil Mochtar, Imposes Strict Judicial Monitoring    SBY Suspends Akil Mochtar, Imposes Strict Judicial Monitoring  Icon_minitimeza 5 okt 2013 - 19:52

The Jakarta Globe, October 5, 2013.

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono has suspended graft suspect Akil Mochtar from his position as chief justice of the Constitutional Court and announced measures intended to prevent future judicial misconduct.

“With my authority, I suspend Chief of the Constitutional Court Akil Mochtar,” said Yudhoyono said at the State Palace.

He said he would issue a presidential decree (Perppu), after consultation with his advisors and the heads of high state institutions, that would tighten the selection and monitoring processes for members of the judiciary.

Under Indonesian law, a Perppu is a stopgap measure that stands until the House of Representatives rejects it or votes it into law.

“Among other things, it will stipulate requirements and regulations for the selection of the Constitutional Court justices,” Yudhoyono said, adding that he would consult with the House of Representatives and the Supreme Court on the specifics of the decree. “I hope when this Perppu is implemented, it won’t be taken under judicial review by the Constitutional Court and annulled. If that happens, there will be no progress.”

Yudhoyono said that he expected the Constitutional Court to proceed carefully.

“With the current fiasco and low public trust at the moment, it’s up to the Constitutional Court if they want to delay court sessions temporarily,” he said.

He also said he expected the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) to accelerate the legal process for this case, to determine as quickly as possible whether the other eight justices on the Constitutional Court were involved in the alleged graft, so as to return public trust to the court as swiftly as possible.

“We think the Perppu should also regulate the supervision of the judicial process at the Constitutional Court,” he said. “Other heads of high state institutions and I have agreed on this. The Judicial Commission should be given the authority to supervise judges and monitor them, according to the Constitution.”

Yudhoyono said that he wanted the court to conduct an internal audit, and to subject itself to an external audit.

He ended his speech by addressing public outcry.

“I have heard that many people wanted the rest of the Constitutional Court justices to step down,” he said. “that’s up to the Constitutional Court.”

“Many told me — colleagues, leaders, other state institutions — that the president should implement the death sentence to the corruptors. For instance: for the chief of the Constitutional Court,” he added. “The president can’t decide someone’s sentence, be it a death sentence, a life sentence or a heavy or light sanction.”

The vice president, the chief justice of the Supreme Court, the speaker of the Regional Representatives Council (DPD), the speaker of the House of Representatives, the head of the head of Judicial Commission and the head of the Supreme Audit Agency (BPK) attended the press conference.

(Pity that bapak SBY hasn't used his executive powers a bit more than he has upto now, in many instances he offered his "executive suggestions" and left it to others to act (or not)! siK comments

Terug naar boven Ga naar beneden

SBY Suspends Akil Mochtar, Imposes Strict Judicial Monitoring
Terug naar boven 
Pagina 1 van 1
 Soortgelijke onderwerpen
-
» BNN Says Marijuana Matches High-Rolling Akil Mochtar’s DNA
» Akil Mochtar Largesse Extends to Dangdut War Chest
» Ratu Atut Maintains She’s a Victim in Akil Mochtar Bribery Case
» Indonesia suspends executions of death row convicts
» Indonesia suspends US beef imports over mad cow disease

Permissies van dit forum:Je mag geen reacties plaatsen in dit subforum