The Jakarta Globe, January 11, 2013,
Denpasar. An eight-year-old boy died in the Bali district of Tabanan on Thursday after he was injured by a cellphone battery that blew up.
“The... cellphone battery pierced through his left thigh,” Tabanan Police chief Adj. Comr. Eko Kurniawan said on Friday.
He added that the boy and his friends reportedly torched a damaged cellphone battery they found in front of his house in Banjar Anyar, Tabanan, on Thursday evening.
The battery proceeded to explode, with part of it piercing through the boy's thigh. His father, Made Eka Darmawan, immediately pulled the object out of his flesh, but the boy's wound was bleeding profusely.
He was quickly rushed to Tabanan Hospital, though Eko said the boy died shortly after he was admitted.
“He couldn’t be saved because he lost a lot of blood.”